We know how it goes – you’ve recently turned 40, you’ve taken up extreme paddle boarding, and you’re thinking about getting a back tattoo. In other words, you’re in your mid-life crisis. Don’t worry, this is a common condition, and it (rarely) proves deadly. In order to get through, all you need is a change in mindset and a few key tips from the Snowflake Whisperer.
Your Physical Health
As we grow older and begin to grow hair in unusual places (or lose it in others), we might begin to worry about these shifts. Our physicality does change with age, but it’s possible to offset these changes and protect our bodies for the long term.
- Start by eating healthy foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins that will help keep your energy levels up and reduce the tax on your body.
- Get regular exercise to boost your mood, and reduce stress levels.
- Schedule regular check-ups with your doctor, and be sure to address any concerns you may have.
If you’re feeling stagnant in your current career, it could be time for a change. If there’s a business idea you’ve always wanted to try, now is a great time to explore it. To ensure that your business venture is well-suited to you, consider the following:
- Hobbies you’re passionate about that could be turned into a business.
- Your existing skills and talents.
- The market and demand for what you want to offer.
- Your finances and whether you have the start-up capital you need.
- Your family’s support of your venture.
- Your career goals and whether this is a temporary or permanent change.
Once you’re ready to get started, be sure to set up the right practices for the best chance of success. There are plenty of online tools to help with this, such as invoicing systems that will ensure you get paid on time. Use an invoice templateto set clear payment terms, invoice immediately, and accept a variety of payment methods. You can choose a template style that matches your branding and then customize it with your logo, colors, and fonts.
You’ll also want to register your business with a structure that offers as many advantages as possible, such as an S corp for its myriad of tax benefits. You can avoid hefty lawyer fees by filing for your chosen business entity yourself or by using a formation service. Be sure to check the rules for forming an S Corp in your state before getting started.
Start a New Career
You’ve likely been working for 20-30 years now. That’s a long time to devote 40+ hours of each week to one specific professional endeavor. If you’re feeling burnt out, consider a change. You can go back to school to pursue an entirely different path. This may help to rekindle passions that have lain dormant for many years as you pursued what you needed to do in order to support yourself and your family. There are many online degree programs that allow you to take classes in your own time in pursuit of a Bachelors in Education, Criminal Justice, Health Care, and more.
As you complete coursework and get real world experience, update your resume or CV. It’s much easier to update this document as you get experience so that you don’t forget anything. You may find it helpful to use a template for a CV so you don’t have to worry about formatting. Simply plug in your content and let the template do the aesthetic work for you.
Your Mental Health
When you’re drowning in bills, battling moody teenagers, or trying to keep a marriage afloat, it’s no wonder that mental health takes a hit in the middle ages. For your own sake (and for that of those around you), it’s important to identify and take action on these issues. Here are a few ways to care for your mental well-being:
- Begin meditating. This practice will help you focus on the present moment and find peace amidst the chaos. Learn some basic meditation techniques and find a comfortable place to practice for a few minutes each day.
- Spend time outside. Getting fresh air and connecting with nature can help improve your mood and give you a much-needed break from your everyday routine. If you can’t get outside regularly, add some nature to your home environment through houseplants. Click here for a helpful guide on easy to care for plants that will liven up your space and reduce your stress levels.
- Travel: Seeing new places and experiencing different cultures can help you appreciate all that life has to offer.
Take Control and Pursue Your Goals
If you’re over 40 and you’re starting to feel a bit listless, that only confirms one thing – you’re human! There’s nothing unusual about a mid-life crisis, and often, a few basic adjustments are all you need to get back to your best self. Small steps, like swapping out healthy snacks and adding some plants to your home environment can be good first steps. Then, make larger commitments, like following an exercise plan, going back to school, or starting a new job, to make an even bigger impact on your life.
Not sure where to start on your journey to personal re-discovery? Start with a quiz from the Snowflake Whisperer to find out what has stuck. Then, use her fitness resources to start getting your new journey underway.